Thread: Indian Tulwar
View Single Post
Old 24th July 2015, 11:35 AM   #17
mrcjgscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Chris, you are most welcome, and it is extremely rewarding to see someone approaching the often daunting field of Indian arms with such a genuinely investigative approach.
I am as always glad to see Jens add the outstanding perspective he constantly shares here on these fascinating swords.

As he well notes, many sources on these arms are written many years ago, and by those who were amidst the sphere of the British Raj. In this vast colonial network, there was considerable diffusion of weapon forms and decorative styles. It seems these writers did pretty well keeping in mind that the constant exhibitions, durbars and various key events brought together all of these elements quite typically outside their regular context.

As Jens notes, the grain of salt caveat is of course a standard with this in mind, but these sources do present a worthwhile benchmark to look for consistancies with which to establish more defined classifications.

As you note, the size of the grip is often noticeably small for our western hands, a topic often discussed on these pages over the years.
It has often been held that the so called 'Indian ricasso' I mentioned was specifically to allow for the forefinger to extend over the quillon and avoid being cut by the blade near the hilt.
Many disagree, however it is pointed out that tulwar combat seldom had sword to sword contact, parrying was with the dhal (shield).

As for the koftgari decoration, it would be difficult to assess the status or station of one having such quality swords, but broadly they could be seen as courtly weapons as these retinues were considerable throughout so many regions in India.
Hello Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to further elaborate on the Indian ricasso, that is not a theory I am familiar with, but it certainly seems logical, given the hilt construction. Something I need to look into more closely I think.

It is also easy for us western sword collectors (or perhaps it is just me!) to forget the important role that dhal played in combat. As a kukri enthusiast, I must remember this!

I like the association of a courtly weapon, I can see it glinting in the sun at a Durbar in its former glory. Unlike a European court sword of the same period, I would be quite happy to trust my life to this tulwar!

Is there a reading list on the forum where one might learn more about such weapons, including the texts that Jens has mentioned above?

My thanks again Jim,

Kind regards,

Chris
mrcjgscott is offline   Reply With Quote