Thread: Indian Tulwar
View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2015, 06:33 PM   #11
mrcjgscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
In Memorials of the Jeypore Exhibition, vol. II, plate LVII, Hendley shows four hilts.

From left to right he writes. “Damascened in gold. 1 and 5, made at Sirohi; 2, made at Gujrat, Kabul fashion; 3, made at Gujrat; 4, Indian hilt made at Gujrat.”

This is, of course, interesting as the book was published in 1883. These hilts were likely to have been new at the time, as the craftsmen wanted to show their ability, and when older things are shown at the exhibition Hendley writes so.

It is a pity that he does not explain what makes no 2 of Kabul fashion. But had he thought that we about 230 years later studied his books, not knowing what he meant, I feel sure he would have explained it.

Hendley may have been right, but take it with a grain of salt, as he may have been told from where the hilts came, and written what he had been told – what if what he was told was not correct? So what do we believe in? I would believe in Hendley, until I can prove he was wrong.

This means that whatever you read, always put a smaller or bigger question mark behind the answer.

In this case Hendley has written the text himself, and not copied it from other books, this is why I think the we can put a small question mark behind his text.

I am at the moment, on and off, researching another hilt type, which, with a bit of luck, will show to be in the 'family'.

Dear Jens,

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to share this information, very interesting indeed, even to a layman like myself.

I understand your caveat about taking what is written with a grain of salt, something I try to do with every source I read. It is always best to remain open minded, even when the conclusion seems foregone!

Having handled several ordinary tulwars, I was struck by how lively and purposeful this one felt in the hand, even the grip accommodates my hand comfortably (usually my fingers feel squashed within the guard!)

I wish you every success with your ongoing research.

Kind regards,

Chris
mrcjgscott is offline   Reply With Quote