Thread: YOUNGER Keris
View Single Post
Old 8th January 2021, 01:17 PM   #56
Mickey the Finn

I vividly recall the occasion when (with my parents as a preadolescent) I visited a place billed as an art gallery. In that place was displayed a pair/ set of mens drawers, affixed to a white canvas with large lumps of masticated pink chewing gum.
To clarify: this was a single undergarment for men; use of the word "pair", or the suffix "s" (usually an indicator of plurality in English) may be misleading to someone for whom English is a second language. English is not my first language.
During my first year of college I was taught that a body styling itself the Modern Language Association of America has claimed for itself the authority to decree what is or is not correct usage of the English language.
In the movie "Inglourious Basterds", an Englishman posing as a German is found out by a "Gestapo major". The Englishman, knowing that "the jig is up" and no longer speaking German, makes a quip about "going out speaking the King's [English]".
Legitimate authorities exist, as well as authorities without legitimacy. I hope I'm not being too abstruse.
I'm the custodian of a few keris kamardikan, most made by Empu Tidak Dikenal. I'd never consider acquiring any keris luk dan lurus, or with pamor catur.
Come on...honestly...have some class. I understand that tastes may vary, but if it looks hokey, it is hokey; and if it looks cheap and cheesy...calling it something it's not doesn't make it any better than what it is.
Any Old Boy knows that if it's not cricket, it's just not cricket, Old Boy.
In memory of Richard Chave Sanderson (June 24th, 1973 - February 20th, 2008).
Mickey the Finn
Mickey the Finn is offline   Reply With Quote