View Single Post
Old 18th February 2024, 01:35 AM   #8
kai

Hello Detlef,

Quote:
I agree nearly with everything Kai has stated. It's a pedang most probably from Lombok. The fittings are like Kai stated from mamas but I guess that the handle fittings are all from mamas and from the same age since the engraved flowers are very similar.
Yes, that's the lower quality I was referring to; only the basal third (the broadened part next to the blade) might be older (if the material is actually different).

Quote:
The blade isn't overcleaned IMVHO but can need further polish before you try an etch. When you don't want to use a chemical etch try to etch it with instant coffee, with a little luck it will work. It's a very nice blade!
This or tannic acid might be worth a try; phosphoric acid might also work to bring laminations out. If nice pamor/laminations are showing up, only etching with arsenic will bring them out as needed from a traditional point of view.

Quote:
Attached are my own pedang collection from Lombok, only the second one from up is a pedang from Sumatra. The two in down and the third from up have as well fittings from mamas, the others have silver fittings at the handles.
I actually wasn't referring to the common pedang (or kelewang according to Djelenga) which is basically single-edged.

This is actually another type of blade that is based on the typical straight, double-edged cundrik blade - just curved and usually a bit longer...

Here are 3 more examples of this specific pattern/type.

Regards,
Kai
Attached Images

kai is offline   Reply With Quote