View Single Post
Old 19th January 2021, 04:45 PM   #4
rickystl

Hi Ulrik

I concur with Philip. Thanks for posting. I must admit this is the first time I've seen such a specimen. Super interesting gun and location identification. And the accessories are equally of interest and would be considered a bonus - especially with the 1854 date. My guess is that the leather pouch would have been used to carry the lead balls, the larger flat horn to carry the powder for the main charge, and the smaller round horn to carry the percussion caps. Makes sense.
You mention the barrel is rifled, in a small 7mm (.28) caliber. I would venture this combination would be more for small game such as rabbits, squirrels, and the occasional goose LOL. It would be too impractical for wing shooting.

The lock is very interesting. If you have a photo of the inside of the lock - and the bore/muzzle of the barrel, please post.

When I viewed the first photo, a thought occurred: Hmmmm.....where have I seen a similar butt stock style ? Then it hit me. See attached photo of a gun in my collection. While it is a flintlock made somewhere in the Balkans in the 19th Century, notice the general shape of the butt stock. What a coincidence. LOL

Anyway, thanks again for posting this great rifle. Just when I think I've seen everything. LOL

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote