View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:56 PM   #4
Richard W

That is very good info and much appriciated.
My little kris (21cm blade) has a very black ground, with the silver pattern raised slightly above (Java style?). The the edge of the blade at the very tip does not come to a complete edge; but is an unfinished sort of dullness (suspicious). Obviously etched strongly to make the textural differences. It just doesn't feel like something that has been around a couple of centuries; no wear on the blade apparant, no smoothness to it. Could possibly be an older piece that has been reworked.
Sorry about the non-photo ability.
Thank you again for the help and insight.
I lived in Jakarta in the 1970's and on a trip to Bali at 16 (Kuta Beach only had one losman and no paved roads) I traded my Seiko watch for a nice antique kris; with shiny-smooth black blade and silver veining. Was trying to get it a mate, but fear I failed this time (out of Seiko watches I suppose)
Cheers!

Addendum :

Thanks for the advice and info. I always wondered why the Javanese blades looked so whithered compared to the Balinese.
My little kris (21cm blade) has the topographic pattern described for the Javanese blades. Very black background with the nickle raised above. Obviously heavily etched. No smoothing as time might produce. The edge doen't continue to the extreme tip, but blunts out as though unfinished.
Could be a refinished old blade, but the texture right now does not show any age at all.
I bought it to compliment one I got in Bali in 1971, swaped for a seiko watch and 2000 rupiah. This one is cute but not convincing. My original has a shiny black surface with fine silver veining.
That's ebay for you.
Glad to have found this forum
Thanks, Richard

Last edited by Rick; 5th November 2011 at 04:40 PM.
Richard W is offline   Reply With Quote