View Single Post
Old 12th March 2007, 04:41 PM   #15
~Alaung_Hpaya~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Thanks so much for the translation! It is interesting that the name "Bo" ("po") appears, as I have seen it on a couple other swords, but with the word "maung." I assumed it was the name of a village, but could it also be a person's name, Maung Bo?
Maung = means younger brother ( more specifically when a woman refers to a younger male relative or indeed to a younger man ) It is also an informal title / honorifc adopted by younger Burmese men either when they address others or are themselves being addressed .

Bo= means leader is also an honorific

Confusingly honorifics are also used as parts of names whether formally or informally .

Also confusing is the Burmese habit of refering the same person by different honorifics and pet / nicknames .

eg Alaung Hpaya could be
U Aung Zeya
Ko Aung Zeya
Maung Aung Zeya
Bo Aung Zeya
Saya
Bo Gyi
maung maung
Ko Ko
Ko Zeya
Nyi Nyi
Tha Pouk

Alaung Hpaya itself is the popular "nickname " for the king ( Hpaya is derived from pali and means roughly "lord" - it has the same root as the Thai term Phra )

Placing two honorifics together is not unusual but in this case sounds clumsy.

Maung Bo would only make sense if the full name was for example Bo Let-Ya . Then he would be known by older people as Maung Bo Let-Ya . However it is most unlikely that Maung would be used on a sword or other inscription as a man is promoted to Ko ( meaning elder brother ) and subsequently to U ( meaning uncle ) with age ( no real rules but usually Ko by your twenties to everyone but older relatives and U in your thirties )

Bo Maung makes more sense . It is possible that Bo is the honorific and Maung is the name ( not uncommon especially in days bygone to have 1 syllable names )

Maung Bo as a place name is possible but again it seems more likley if the adjective was more descriptively elaborate ( eg Mokso Bo Ywa where U Aung Zeya originated lit. Widower Leader Village was changed to Shwe Bo Myo = Golden Leader Town )

Can you show me some pics ?

Last edited by ~Alaung_Hpaya~; 12th March 2007 at 05:34 PM.
~Alaung_Hpaya~ is offline   Reply With Quote