View Single Post
Old 16th July 2014, 06:05 AM   #11
Shakethetrees

Default Barung

If we look closer, the blade has some oxidation,but no nickel plating. The ferrule might have some issues, but I see the general tone of this forum is to go for a heavy handed, (read sanded) approach. If we are preserving things that are, and will never, be made again, we need to think before we act.

There are chemicals that will take care of this without disturbing original surfaces. Brownell's, a large gun smithing tool supplier, is a resource. An electro less nickel stripper is available that works. If a piece is chrome plated, no problem, as when it is chrome plated, it is first nickel plated.

I have been working in metal restoration professionally for thirty years. This is the only solution that I would use here. I have had many successes with it. It only removes the plating, no rust or oxidation will be affected.

It costs about $65 US, not including shipping. I just stripped a Damascus blade that was ground and polished smooth, then chrome plated. When it was clean, there were no other issues, other than having to re-etch it to bring out the pattern.

The chrome layer is thin, and slowly the nickel will be dissolved, lifting off the chrome. Works every time!
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote