View Single Post
Old 30th June 2014, 07:01 PM   #15
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hard to comment on the scabbard material of your piece, but I can say that mine IS silver but also had that blue-ish oxidation on it when I first received it. Get an old toothbrush and some silver polish of some sort, and give it a good brushing.
I have to say that I had not noted the woven wire on your Jambiya. Mine does not have this feature. Always possible to have difference as often the scabbard was not made by the same person as the dagger itself (Refer Steve Gracie's book Daggers from the Ancient Souks of Yemen)
Stu

Pretty well any decent scrubbing brush will work and you can start witrh soapy water ... or use toothpaste...that works nicely.

It seems that by default we are working up the differences with the al Ahsa Oasis weapon compared to the Omani of which I promote the three main differences viz;

1. The UUUUU design under the cuff just above the belt line. (though I seem to find the same design in the Asir...checking)
2. The slightly oversized Quba or crown.
3. The greater upturn on the scabbard.

I cannot attribute the criss cross weave below the belt as that is more the domain of the Asir style nor the small diamond rectangles as that is frequently reflected in Omani work.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 1st July 2014 at 06:46 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote