View Single Post
Old 19th November 2023, 02:44 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Actually the British did NOT have a flourishing blade industry, and did not make any particular advances into this until the latter 18th c. If you read the threads on Shotley Bridge here, this circumstance has been brilliantly researched by Keith Fisher over some years, and his book "The Crown and the Crossed Swords"is one of the most informative references on this subject available in my opinion.

Solingen did have the most dynamic blade making industry however, and by the 1780s in Great Britain, there were only three blade makers of note, despite incidental production elsewhere, most notable in Shotley. However in most cases, it was German blades that dominated, leading to the so called 'sword scandals' led by Thomas Gill in Birmingham calling for more British production over German.

The Polish sword situation was with some blades from Solingen possibly, but in most cases it was blades from Lvov, and some Styrian locations. In "Origins of the Polish Saber" (Jan Ostrowski, 1979) it is noted that there were no blade producing centers in Hungary, as their blades were from Styrian centers typically. As Styria was of course a state in Austro-Hungary, the Austrian blades were also primarily from these regions.

The rose on the blade spine is interesting and is of course European, but not certain Solingen necessarily. Keep in mind that the Solingen shops adopted many names, markings, and affectations from other places which were added spuriously, often presenting difficulty in proper identifications.

As you correctly observe, fashion was key in the colorful pageantry of the cavalry especially in the 18th century into the Napoleonic wars. This was prevalent in the hussar regiments, whose character as dashing light cavalry inspired many countries to add such units to the long standing dragoon regiments . Light cavalry and hussars of course favored the saber, taken from the Turkish examples used by their formidable light cavalry forces and tactics.,

By the mid 18th century, throughout France, Germany, Austria, Netherlands etc. all were adding these hussar units, and of course, the saber. Actually there were units of Hungarian hussars in the French army and others.
This diffusion cannot even be remotely touched on here, so the 'styles' of sabers moving through Europe accordingly can well be imagined.

I must admit that even in the many years I have studied this history, I cannot claim any particular expertise, and am still learning, so finding it difficult to find specific answers and classifications is of course understandable. As noted, officers, particularly in these times, had their swords privately commissioned, and often these were to their own whims as well as with features of other forms. In many cases, cutlers who assembled and mounted swords used blades from various sources, and were often workers in precious metals who created hilts based on popular styles.

Identifying these kinds of swords relies on endless study, comparison, obscure resources, and items with sound provenance that has some reliable documentation. It is a relentless, fascinating and often obsessive pursuit, so ......welcome to the chase!!!!
You clearly have a discerning eye, this saber is outstanding and again, in my opinion most likely Polish, or of Polish character, as shown. However, to say exactly what its circumstances were, where in the cavalries of Eastern Europe it was used. With only the popular 18th c. standard military flourish in blade decoration and no distinct cyphers etc.it is hard to say more.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote