View Single Post
Old 12th October 2023, 03:27 AM   #25
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Most interesting arguments guys, and I very much appreciate the detailed explanations supporting your observations. As noted this is a learning exercise for me as I have never owned an axe or haft mounted weapon, but of course had some familiarity from various references.

I can truly see what is meant forensically with my example, and as noted, such a tool would most certainly have been used extensively and the resultant damage and wear would be seen clearly. The analogy on swords is well placed and of interest. Most swords, in actuality, saw little to no actual combat use despite the fact that obviously, they were intended for such use. Still, time takes its toll, and the weapon ages in varied degrees depending on the context that it is in.
Attached is a British dragoon sword c. 1750 which does not reflect any apparent use, but has aged notably in accord with old iron.

The axes of the type being discussed with my example, according to what I have read in the sources I have consulted, arrived in volume in America , often in barrels full. It stands to reason that of this volume of axe heads, they will all find different situations with those who acquire them, and likely the subsequent owners. While obviously, such tools would be readily used on the frontiers, but what if some, never really ended up in a working environment? I just visited the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron, Nebraska, and the original trading post still exists there. In this, I believe there was a degree of merchandise which remained 'in stock' and many items remained in holding thus unused even after the closure of the post.

I cannot tell, but what if this axe, even of notable age, was never hafted nor used? Is this not possible? much in the way many swords and weapons simply never saw use. While clearly a tenuous position, it would seem we are considering all possibilities, so I would proffer this to add.
Not every weapon or tool experienced arduous use, some virtually none at all.

I also question the 'signs of use' observation.....in the photos of examples shown through the thread, which ones display this kind of 'damage' or reflect rugged use?

In post #3, CC suggests my axe because of the clean lines etc. does not seem entirely hand made (I agree) but more like something from the 'early nineteenth century' when blacksmiths were using water or steam driven power hammers'. This seems accord with the period I have been suggesting, early 19th c. to mid.

Also noted in#3, that a similar boarding axe is known with similar 'clover' but no further info.
An example of another similar is shown in Kaufman ("American Axes") with dual floral or radiating petal stamps and noted as excavated in N.Y. state....pretty much the region where the Neuman example I showed was from.

Keith (urbanspaceman) also showed an excellent discourse from his outstandingly researched book on the Shotley Bridge sword blade works in England, and how the iron working skills from England had come to America in the 17th century, with that industry flourishing in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. It would seem as he suggests, that production of axe heads with remarkably 'clean' characteristics was quite possible in earlier periods in American locations. This also, in my view puts an axe head with characteristics seen in my example could quite possibly have been from the early 19th c. and perhaps earlier if the type of stamped markings are considered in date range late 18th into 19th c.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 12th October 2023 at 01:13 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote