View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2023, 02:34 AM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Trade axe/tomahawk NE America 18th c.

This axe head is of the form (regarded as French in style) that Nuemann ("Swords and Blades of the American Revolution", 1973, example 89a, p.274) terms a 'ROUND POLL CAMP AXE'. It is 8.25" in height, 4" wide and weighs 1.9 lbs. with long flaring half axe blade.

The markings (not yet identified) are in the manner of most of these type axes termed 'hache de traite' , which loosely means 'trade hatchet' in French. It is probably blacksmith (ID pending) made in Canadian or American northeast regions (Quebec was one possibility) and possibly traded alongside the wares of the Hudson Bay Company.

These were used by frontiersmen, trappers, 'mountain men' throughout these regions and well into America,.....New York, Ohio, Illinois, Missouri, where they were also well known in many American Indian tribes, particularly those of the Iroquois confederation.

Many of this form, but slightly smaller (of same weight) appear in Seneca grave sites in New York areas. The Seneca were the most warlike of the Iroquois tribes, and like most of these tribes, their most prized possessions were buried with them...these kinds of axes a most common case.

This particular axe I just located in Utah, and I am thinking if its provenance was local (it was from an individual who was not aware of details) it very likely came with Mormon settlers who of course originated in the regions previously noted, and were accompanied by frontiersmen.

I believe it is likely mid to third quarter 18th c. (there were changes in the eye shape etc c.1800) .
While this is an 'axe', which typically denotes a tool for utility, these were of course also used as weapons, and as per the term called in Indian parlance (loosely ) deemed a 'tomahawk as such. It should be noted that typically the tomahawk genre (pipe, spike, halberd etc) is commonly slightly smaller and lighter, but these and 'belt axes' varied widely in forms and size.

The term 'hatchet' was a broadly used term used collectively for axes and not distinctly applied. There are cases where these axes have been called 'squaw' axes ( the women typically gathered wood etc in Indian camps) but this term is highly frowned upon by Native Americans as the common use of these as weapons naturally would negate such term.

I wanted to share what I have discovered in research on this piece this week as these types of weapons are not often discussed here, and I am hoping to bring in others with like interests, and of course examples.
As always, I welcome comments and corrections (this area is new to me)!

I am also hoping that someone might have seen this apparently four petal flower (clover?) deeply stamped as a mark; and the deep initials LMVL on opposite face .
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote