View Single Post
Old 26th December 2023, 03:50 AM   #13
kino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent View Post
Xasterix,

That is some nice timber work, both the carving and the manner of joining what appears to my eyes as being a replaced pommel.
The point of the plug is consistent with several Kampilan mounting points I have seen and the larger one I have here.

What do you think "may" have been meant/intended culturally in the inclusion of separate "teeth" and having that different coloured piece being incorporated back into the pommel?

Kino,

The cut out intrigues me.

At first glance I thought what a wonderful way to retain small votive personal items, although little more than parchment could be concealed within. It seems the wire pins had been intended to keep something safe and secure within and not used for regular access. I feel a replacement hair block would have also been resin set.
Perhaps it once had a bone insert retaining hair, age cracks took a toll and eventually all became dislodged and removed?

Whilst no definitive answers may be available, what considerations have you pondered.
Gavin, maybe hairtufts set in a pieces of wood with various colors, black, red, white, change depending on the mood or as someone once suggested a noise maker similar to Tiger Bells. all speculative of course, we’ll ever know.
kino is offline   Reply With Quote