View Single Post
Old 7th December 2013, 06:50 AM   #122
AhmedH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Thank you very much Ahmed for adding these important and intriguing observations on these swords with information most helpful in better understanding them. It seems I had heard of the wootz blades becoming terribly brittle and literally shattering in some cases, but wasn't clear in recalling the circumstances. Also confusing to me was the reference to Arab swords 'from' India, and your explanation is most helpful.
As you noted in your previous post, what is important in our discussion is constructive material, comments and questions.

All best regards,
Jim
My pleasure, my duty, Jim. Actually, the study of medieval arms and armor; especially medieval Arab swords, was something that captured my interest for many years. That there are more than 100 Arab swords dating back to 600-1260 CE in Topkapi, Askeri Museum, and some private collections is something very intriguing for serious study. Add to that the many great sources in the form of treatises, historical narrations, poems, etc; all that makes the study of Arab swords in the aforementioned period enjoyable; since the data is available and exists in abundance.

As ever,
Ahmed Helal Hussein
AhmedH is offline   Reply With Quote