View Single Post
Old 4th June 2011, 08:09 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Caucasian Pistol

Hello all. Latest project finished. Ball butt pistol from Circassia in the Northern/Western areas of the Caucusas. I bought this from a gun dealer in Montana of all plases. He mentioned that he purchased it from a fellow who said his Gradfather brought it back from Eurpoe after World War-I.
After close inspection, I realized the lock was not original to the gun. However, it is a Circassian lock that is correct for the pistol. Most of these pistols were built with wood stocks covered with leather. The stock for this pistol is carved from one piece of HORN. When I received the gun it was missing the internal lock parts, the ball trigger, and the rear barrel band. Fortunately, I have a spare - though slightly larger - Circassian lock and ball trigger in my collection. I sent both of these and the pistol to Roy Stroh in Georgia (U.S.). Roy used the parts as a pattern to make new lock internals, a new ball trigger, and a new rear barrel band. Even to the trained eye, the new rear barrel band is an exact duplicate. It still amazes me some peoples brain-to-hand skills. Next the barrel went to Bob Hoyt in Pennsylvania to have a new modern steel liner installed, for safe shooting. And finally to Earl Kathan in New Hampshire for some light glass bead blasting of the barrel and breech plug, and final assembly. This gun has been to three different gunsmiths in three different states. For those interested, reference Anthony Tirri, page 181, Fig. 122 for other examples. Anyway, thanks for looking. I'll take it to the Range and test fire it soon and report back. TARUS BULBA !!
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote