View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2007, 07:58 PM   #11
wolviex

Dear Brian!
Of course I didn't want to exalt my museum over the Poznan Military Museum - no way. I was reffering to the other thread of Bill, and just wanted to add few more places to his list called "must see" .

In fact, this museum Damian is kindly presenting to us, is one of the most important in Poland. It doesn't have to be big to be important. There are also some great people, very active and scholarly well prepared to work with this fine pieces, thought I have to add that they are more active on other fields of military history like orders and badges, uniforms and flags.

On the new pictures I would like to comment the Bechter we can see on third and fourth picture, made of plates and chainmails, with visible medalion in the middle. This piece is one of the finest examples of such armours in the world, through many years kept... o well, in my museum in Krakow . But with the decision of Ministry of Culture in the years of People Republic it was gave to Poznan, while it is strictly attached to this city, and to be exact, made there in the half of the 16th century. The second, very fine bechter is kept still in my, Krakow's, National Museum.

Hi Fenris. In fact eastern and mostly Turkish and Persian armaments were very popular in Poland in 17-18th centuries. Many weapons were made in Persian or Turkish fashion, noblemen paid big money to get them, etc.
But on the other hand I think they're (in most) shown here without any link to Polish history, rather to show the entirety of the museum's collection.

Regards

PS. One thing I do not understand, why they've decided tu put a string on the bow which is now in wrong direction!
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote