Thread: Cord Wrap Kris
View Single Post
Old 6th September 2023, 03:44 AM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The blade looks very probably late 19th-early 20th century, possibly Maguindanao. The hilt and the wrap seem untraditional and may have been made by someone outside of the culture, or at least someone inexperienced or unskilled at make a kakatau hilt. The wood does seem to have some age to it though. Hard to say when it was added.
There are many hulu varieties found on these types.

I see the plain nature of the one presented to have some age. I don't feel as old as the blade though.

I do however feel, that given there is decent age to timber surface, and there is a vast variety of hulu found, that this cord wrapped one sits in the most basic visual terms, between the known and expected Kakatau form and this example attached.

The how and why is beyond me, but I suspect there are many cultural aspects, minorities and mythological interpretations lost through time and the development of the more modern world post WWII.... you only have to see a couple of the odd pommel types from the Frey collection to see the diversity in Kris hulu.

Perhaps the Forum's much more learned students could perhaps comment on the Katik similarities seen on both of these to draw regional insights to what might be seen in the simplistic hulu?
Attached Images

Last edited by Gavin Nugent; 6th September 2023 at 07:42 AM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote