View Single Post
Old 18th November 2019, 05:11 PM   #57
Silver John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Is the hilt silver plated - or was it?
It’s hard to tell, the entire handle was a rusty brown when I bought it. I have rubbed it down with 000 wire wool as mineral oil which has revealed a few tiny flecks of gold at the edge of one of the motiefs, but no obvious silver yet. I still have some cleaning to do, so I might find some yet.

Quote:
Its interesting to think of, how much this hilt have been used to be worn like it is.
Indeed! And I photographed the “good” side, the other is far more worn. It’s almost impossible to see in the picture, but the same pattern that is near the cross guard is also on the palm swell of the handle, just much more faint. An arrangement of flowers in rows, 1,2,3,2.

Quote:
Intersting blade, which could be European, or maybe an Indian copy, as these stamps were copied a lot in India.
I had wondered about that. The blade has Indian features like the stepped spine and large ricasso. I had hoped to reveal a pattern in the blade by etching it, but my initial test panel did not reveal anything at all. Perhaps it is European and so no pattern is to be found?, or perhaps I just need to use a different acid for etching.

Many thanks for the comments!
Silver John is offline   Reply With Quote