View Single Post
Old 31st December 2023, 01:54 PM   #25
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you guys, I guess I was looking for a response to the Chinese exemplar and suggestion, which I should have worded more carefully. To me the similarity to the toned tortoise shell effect seemed compellingly similar.
I would note here that the creation of faux decoration that often reached for 'oriental' styling was profoundly practiced in the 18th century .

Case in point was the 'galuchat' style of horse hide with pressed seeds and dyed to replicate ray skin in grips . Also there was a curious affinity for dying or tinting ivory green, perhaps intended to associate with various types of jade?

Very well noted on the Celtic style braiding and knotwork which certainly must be associated with these kinds of decorative motif. I agree that often the more information that becomes available, the expansion of possibilities increase, making specific definition more difficult in many cases.
As Eastern Europe was of course heavily influenced by Germanic populations such as notably in Transylvania and other principalities, these kinds of material culture characteristics diffused accordingly.

Interesting note on the European doctrines pertaining to the religious aspects of talismanic themes. I have always been fascinated by the 'magical' and occult devices, themes and amuletic properties of blade decoration, and how closely religious invocations often 'share the same space'.

My wishes as well for a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! and many new discoveries!