View Single Post
Old 24th December 2023, 02:51 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Discussing antique weapons is like discussing sex; doesn't have to be explicit .

VERY well said Fernando!!!! and I think you have eloquently placed a quote there quite worthy to parallel of the profound philosophy of Goethe.

While I always appreciate responses and elucidation to subject matter being discussed, I do not think that detailed elaboration is necessary to describe the obvious manner in which an edged weapon is used.

To respond to the 'interesting' view stated, pertaining to the things 'discussed' here on this forum, the reference to 'delight of 'todays' collectors, is poignantly taken. The objectives here have always been, since the inception of this forum, to further our understanding of the arms and armor through historic times by discussion and examination of actual examples.
Following the theme intended in this response, I will withhold my sentiments toward 'the delights of 'todays' collectors.

I will say that my personal odyssey in the study of swords began a few years ago, actually in the early 60s as a youngster obsessed with history, in particular the weapons used in early movies of course. Since then I have studied voraciously, and indeed even collected as I could.

In my study of these weapons, I must admit that I have never found the grim reality of the actual use of them necessary in looking into their character from an artistic point of view. My focus has always been on the character of the design, elements, decoration, markings and inscriptions as obviously reflective of the history imbued in each example.

Returning to my earlier post noting that 'hunting hangers', while often highly decorated and embellished, indeed were often 'PUT TO HARD USAGE' (Blackmore, 1971, p.19).

While I appreciate the fact that this usage would of course include 'the kill', OBVIOUSLY....of course the noble hunter would carry this out! Why else would he participate in the hunt?

Blackmore notes (p.31) that:
"...few of the hunting swords worn with such apparel can ever have been intended for action, although their owners made certain that they lacked nothing in splendor for the occasion".

Further, noting Bashford Dean (his 1929 catalog) dismissed them as "..degenerate court swords small enough to be conveniently carried in the forest, to be used on very rare occasions to defend the wearer (very ineffectively) from enraged boar or stag, daintily to bleed the game but never to function in butchery".

Here I would point out that Howard Blackmore in this profoundly thorough book on hunting weapons, nor Bashford Dean in his venerable catalog of 1929 (a treasure!) , neither resort to garish or gory details in these, the most effective studies of these weapons.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 25th December 2023 at 02:44 PM. Reason: unnecessary statement deleted