View Single Post
Old 25th December 2023, 06:03 PM   #11
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent View Post
Xasterix,

That is some nice timber work, both the carving and the manner of joining what appears to my eyes as being a replaced pommel.
The point of the plug is consistent with several Kampilan mounting points I have seen and the larger one I have here.

What do you think "may" have been meant/intended culturally in the inclusion of separate "teeth" and having that different coloured piece being incorporated back into the pommel?

Kino,

The cut out intrigues me.

At first glance I thought what a wonderful way to retain small votive personal items, although little more than parchment could be concealed within. It seems the wire pins had been intended to keep something safe and secure within and not used for regular access. I feel a replacement hair block would have also been resin set.
Perhaps it once had a bone insert retaining hair, age cracks took a toll and eventually all became dislodged and removed?

Whilst no definitive answers may be available, what considerations have you pondered.

I have checked the three Kampilan currently here and none have any such additions like yours Xasterix.

The smaller cutlass sized one does give hints that the block typically seen as retaining hair, that is has been removed/cut back, but the patina is consistent throughout and there is enough protrusion present to consider it may be unaltered too.
Perhaps the few very slight, perfectly spaces recesses that can be seen were markings/depressions intended for drilling holes and mounting hair?

The myriad of designs and complexities are as vast as Kris from the regions.
Halloo Gavin,

An artisan-friend pointed out that it may have something to do with the "hole" in the dentures. When the dentures are removed, the "hole" opens up, allowing the owner to put thin textile, string, hair, or other attachments. Instead of being tied up, these attachments can be integrated to the kampilan easily by opening and closing the dentures.

The thing about the hilt, the pommel seems to still be part of the existing wood core that still wraps around the tang (the pommel 'cracks' correspond to the cracks in the existing wood core. So it's possible that the whole hilt itself (not just the pommel) was a replacement, then got cracked into two pieces, and brought back together again.

There's also the possibility that the whole hilt is original, got cracked then repaired; and instead it's the guard that was replaced. The evidence that can support this alternative theory is the rattan wrap on the guard, which is lighter in patina (and likely younger in age) to the hilt grip rattan wrap.

Last edited by xasterix; 25th December 2023 at 06:44 PM.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote