View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:18 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu
Indian and Indopersian arms are my primary interest as far as arms are concerned.

I rarely post (on any subject) because

a) My knowledge of arms pales in comparison to others here, so if I get in on a thread early I risk looking like a fool, and if I get in late I have nothing new to contribute.

b) As far as I know I'm still a probationary forum member with all of my posts moderated. This time delay makes more conversational posting feel pointless; I should only post things that are relevant much later and out-of-sequence.

c) There are a fair number of rules that I have to try to remember and not break. Nothing wrong with rules, but I keep asking myself "Did I mention a price? Is this item for sale? Am I breaking some other rule I'm not remembering?" Generally I just don't bother to post.

d) In many threads I'm interested in the content, but I just don't have anything to say. Either I agree, or I know nothing of it, or I'm just there to absorb whatever is said.

That all being said, I may post more in the future. I'd hate for Jens to think there's lack of interest in Indian arms; from what I can see (and from current prices) interest in Indian and Indopersian arms is very much alive.

Very nicely posted Cthulthu (nice Lovecraftian handle there!), and while you say you hesitate to enter for 'lack of knowledge' , I would say that first of all, we are all students here and we learn together. When someone as courteous as you makes entries on a subject in well reasoned questions, it is an opportunity to learn for us all. Nobody regards well placed queries as foolish !

Indian arms are a very specialized and complex field, and by that measure, fascinating and compelling in that their diversity and innovation tend to draw us in further and further as we study them. I know that Jens has studied them most of his life, and I have had the distinct honor of sharing study with him in a good part of my own life. Yet, I know personally, it seems for every discovery, there are dozens more questions.

That is why Jens has expressed this concern. To learn, what is needed is ever broadening participation, sharing thoughts and observations, and above all ..posting examples which can often yield amazing results in fact finding.

While being cognizant of rules, simply avoiding commercial links and discussion of values or prices is mostly just obvious avoidance of legal issues potentially involved, that is just common sense, as you are clearly aware.

I am glad top hear you will be posting more! Dont worry about what you can add, ask questions, tell us what you think on a topic, and exchange ideas.
I have studied arms longer than I can say (many moons!) and honestly, I learn something new every day, and ALWAYS with the patience of so many in varied fields who graciously always answer by questions and gently correct many of my perceptions which are sometimes off center

Post away!!! We'll talk!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote