View Single Post
Old 30th October 2019, 07:57 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Vilhelmsson, this is a fascinating topic which has intrigued and obsessed me through most of the many years I have studied arms. Makers marks and blade inscriptions have been a field which has really needed far more investigation in the broader scope of arms, however the Ulfberht and Ingelrii inscribed blades have been one of the exceptions.

Some years ago as I was researching the 'Passau wolf' mark, I began to wonder if perhaps this was a kind of pictographic representation which would recall the 'berserks' of Scandinavian and of course Viking fame. I thought that with little literacy, that such a device representing 'feared warriors' would have a place on the blades of swords in Passau, a sort of center for mercenary soldiers. In the well known convention of quality or 'trademark' type symbolism this would recall the also well heralded exploits of these much earlier warriors.

It was the that I began thinking of the very swords the Vikings used, the 'Ulfberht' bladed swords, and that perhaps the word itself meant something akin to 'wolf man'. With this possibly the word was used as a kind of metaphor in a religious sense to protect the warrior in battle and imbue him via the sword, the power he needed to prevail.

In the past couple of days, trying to research more so I could better reply here, I found the article "Ulfberht Blades: New Answers to Old Questions" in 'History of Antique Arms: researches 2016'...by Anne Feuerbach and Thomas Henley.
In these, that very idea was posed in a compelling study which reflects the remarkable research which Ms. Feuerbach has always presented in her well known work on the metallurgy of sword blades, well supported by her co author Mr. Henley.

In this article (2017) it is revealed that most of the Ulfbert blades of the 10th century, many of which were found in English regions, were likely commissioned by Haakon the Good, the Norse ruler who was situated in England in those times. What is unique on these early examples is that the blades were forged using crucible steel from Central Asia traded with Scandinavia, and this trade is well supported in the material. The other apparently later examples of Europe were of high quality smelted steel.
It would seem that perhaps the early examples (of Haakon? 10th c.) of crucible steel ingots may have been the initiation of the Ulfberht 'hallmark' which was carried forth in the Frankish production. Naturally where these were produced is still inconclusive, but possibly this was the case.

It is noted that in these times literacy was virtually non existent, and paganism and the use of runes were of course common. While Christianity was becoming well spread, it was a transitional period with regard to language and the methods of conveying it. The use of alphabetic characters was not notable until the 11th century.

Here it is suggested that Haakon the Good, who is believed to have commissioned these early Ulfberht blades may well have used the 'word' (in Carolingian letters and with the Cross Potent or Greek cross) to appease both the Pagan and Christian elements of his forces. The 'wolf' metaphor was of course recognizable to both (cited, "Wulf min wulf: An Eclectic Analysis of the Wolf Man" by S. Danielli, ' Neophilogus, 91, (3), 505-24, 2007).

The Greek crosses would have had a certain 'runic' appeal as well as the Christian symbolism , and the 'word' would be seen as a recognizable one which could be read by the literate in its metaphoric sense.
What puzzles me (as a non linguist) is that the 'T' is separated by a cross rather than being included in the word. Is this some sort of diacritic (?) or superscript type of abbreviation?

With the Ingelrii, as has been pointed out, this does appear to be a shop or maker name (Me Fecit noted). The Ulberht however, does seem to be a metaphorically used religious imbuement and talisman.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote