View Single Post
Old 24th February 2017, 04:27 AM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In my opinion, this could well be a 'votive' weapon, that is, one used only symbolically in ritual and ceremony in religious circumstances, in this case probably Hindu. In southern states in India, such as Karnataka and Kerala and others, there is the ceremony of Aayudha Pooja, or worship of weapons.

I am unclear on what weapons or how these ceremonies are practiced or determined, but this example may have been made for such use. As noted, its age is not great but seems somewhat patinated. I believe certain types of formulated pastes or substances are put on these in the ritual which may account for discoloration.

The use of votive weapons in temples and religious rituals, ceremony and procession is known widely in India and many places in Hindu and Buddhist Faiths. In Tibet, the 'phurbu' (or ghost dagger) is such a weapon, used only figuratively in rituals.

Interesting item, and indeed seems to be made nominally in the general shape of a katar, which of course did have forms made with often two blades or other variants.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote