View Single Post
Old 11th May 2021, 06:56 PM   #26
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In hopes of finding our original topic, and looking more at the connection between the sawback of this interesting example hanger and other sawback weapons (Spanish and Prussian), we return to the British India potential.

The British M1856 pioneer sidearm as previously described was in use from that time and beyond the turn of the century, and may have parallels to this design.
It is known that Wilkinson was producing these as late as 1895, and I carefully note that these were in use later as seen in issue dates in early years of next century.

In 1870, a sword bayonet with bulbous blade and serrated saw back was proposed by Lord Elcho, a Scottish conservative noble and politician.
There was a number of these for experimental use produced by Kirshbaum, and a degree of issue, with the designation M1871 applied.
However, it was declared by the military that the new bayonets were too expensive, and they did not believe in the idea of a bayonet used as a tool and that the use for combat should be to the existing forms .

Here I would note that the existing pioneer sidearm, the likely comparison to this example, was issued to the 'pioneer' troops who were attached to infantry companies , were charged with utility duties and not necessarily combatants, though obviously could be if required.

The 'pioneer' sidearms with saw back as noted, were being made by Wilkinson, and Mole, who worked as sub contractor for them. The J. Bourne Co. was also a sub contractor for Wilkinson, and in particular swords going to India, as the one I posted earlier, show the similar feature of the stepped pommel.

It is noted in various references, the response to the saw tooth back, were as far as use in the sawing etc. very effective, so the pioneer sword clearly remained in use for so long. However, as far as the bayonet, which Burton vaguely referred to (1884), it seems deemed as useless with the saw back feature, as he derisively noted much in line with the military views earlier.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote