View Single Post
Old 13th July 2020, 01:57 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathey
Hi Guys

I was recently offered a c1640 British sword, but Rex was put off by the good condition fish skin grip and buff liner. I am sure the sword is correct and agree with Rex that the addition of the Fish skin grip as seen on Victorian basket hilts etc and liner may have just been an attempt to restore the sword. Then I realised that I actually have no idea when this type of grip first appeared, can anyone outthere enlighted me.

I have attached a pic of the grip of one of my VIctorian Basket hilts so you know what I am referring to.

Cheers Cathey
In rereading this, I think I would be a bit hesitant as well about presuming a well preserved ray skin grip and buff liner on a mid 17th c. British sword is original to it. As far as I have understood, while rayskin and variants were used through Asia much earlier, this affectation was not used in Great Britain on sword grips until at least mid 18th c.
It then becomes a matter of accepting the sword as structurally sound as a serving example of the type and allowing for the replaced component as an aesthetic replacement.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote