View Single Post
Old 4th September 2023, 04:42 PM   #7
RobT

Default Thanks To All Plus Add'l Info

Thanks to all for the positive comments on my efforts.

JeffS,
The EvapoRust takes care of the red rust (FeO3) completely. I use elbow power and a russet colored 3M pad sandwiched in the jaws of a refrigerator clip/magnet to rub out the grey discoloration left behind by the EvapoRust (pretty easy to clean up) and to rub out the black rust (Fe3O4, really, really hard to clean up). The problem with black rust is that it is hard to get to because it is in the bottom of the pits dug by red rust and it is also more resistant to abrasion than red rust.
Quick baca baca how-to: I lay a clear piece of thick cellophane or thin plastic on the kris and draw the outline of the missing baca baca. I cut out the shape and lay it on a piece of mild steel as a template and flip it over (tip to tip) to make the other side (keep in mind that the outlines drawn on the steel represent the INSIDE of the baca baca). I rough out the shape using Dremel abrasive cut off wheels. I fold the steel in half and use files to refine the rough shape and then open it up to fit onto the kris (note that the convex sides will be further apart than the concave sides).

Ian,
I thought that the Maguindano "C" goes straight across whereas the Sulu "C" slants downward. Oh well, I'm a bit leery about Cato's classification anyway.

Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote