View Single Post
Old 31st December 2023, 01:27 PM   #24
Interested Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
The reason I added the image of the tortoise shell material of a Chinese sword in the unnoticed post I placed previously was to illustrate the effect of yellow color highlighted with brown patches. Somehow it just seemed in line with the yellowish toned material here which is staghorn or buckhorn most likely (not sure of the proper zoological term) which has indeed been painted or highlighted ...

In Europe, 'orientalism' was in the height of fashion and popularity, and the curious talismanic charms and mysticism became well represented in the intaglios of themes on blades. The trellis type cross hatching and entwined vegetal decoration IMO has to do with that of talismanic devices and sigils with origins in Eastern Europe which came into France and Germany.

While it would seem strange that protective amulets etc. would be needed in the hunt, there was a good deal of danger from wounded and enraged animals as well as many other potential accidents. The invoking for success in the hunt was also a factor.
Definitely not unnoticed Jim. You said it all, so I just listened and learned. I have been curious if this pattern isn't burned into the antler, but maybe it is closer to a dying process akin to modern jigged bone that changes the color of bone to match stag.

As far as the knotwork goes it can be traced back at least to iron or bronze age Celtic culture and was in early Germanic cultures as well (I can cite cite illuminations in old and middle English texts for this). I think the area between the two cultures is now considered fuzzier than historians believed 50 years ago.

In European doctrine are you not supposed to pray before beginning all endeavors (I forget the chapter and verse). So, it is logical that protection as well as guidance is always needed.

Happy new year!