View Single Post
Old 10th February 2024, 02:54 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ken, thank you for the note in the OP, you know me well
Each sword has its story to tell.

Clearly in form this hilt is of the rather scarce 'model 9' as well described by Udo. As I understand, these were produced 1801-1803 and by BOUTET at Versailles.
I am not familiar enough with French Napoleonic arms to argue for or against this not corresponding to the character of the original examples.......but I have one question.
Why in the world would anyone copy a briquet? these munitions grade weapons are hardly the grade sought by Napoleonic collectors in my thinking. I suppose they're a bit more desirable than the British briquet I bought in the 60s for ten bucks

Then to see this combination of what seems a very high quality Persian blade, even though probably not actually Assad Alllah but one of the subsequent blades using the name (in the manner of the spurious use of the Toledo masters names).

Is it possible that this model briquet might have been produced by another maker/works? following the general design.

Then the question is, what likely French colonial context might his combination have been assembled?

IMO a most attractive and intriguing sword Ken, no wonder you grabbed it!
Easy on the cleaning the patina really gives it character.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote