View Single Post
Old 5th September 2023, 06:29 AM   #1
AvtoGaz

Default Weapons manufacturing in the City of Zeytun

This is a follow-up to an old post made by user rickystl, linked here:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ng+Balkan+long

A rare long gun with an uncertain origin was posted, which sparked some discussion. I am putting forth the theory that this piece is an example of local production from the city of Zeytun, now called Süleymanlı, in Turkey.

For some historical context, the city of Zeytun and the surrounding district was an Armenian-populated area deep in the highlands of the south central part of modern day Turkey. It is notable for being one of the very few areas in the Ottoman Empire where a ruling Armenian nobility existed well into the second half of the 19th century, being ruled by 4 Armenian princes who had a very high degree of autonomy, largely governing the area by themselves and only paying tax to the Ottoman authorities. Due to these peculiarities, it was also one of the very few areas in the Ottoman Empire where Armenians bore arms, as this was largely forbidden for Christians in areas where the Ottoman government had more direct control. Beginning in the second half of the 19th century, the Ottomans began to encroach on their traditional autonomy, and thus their traditional sense of independence and armed populace enabled them to launch several armed rebellions against the Ottomans, notably in 1862, 1895, and 1915.

Naturally, weapons production was also documented to have taken place here to some degree. Sadly, information on it is very scarce with only a few documents from the early 20th century, which I have not been able to access, detailing it in any real level of detail. With that said, the use of these weapons is extensively documented in the rituals of the Zeytunians, particularly in weddings as detailed here: https://www.houshamadyan.org/arm/map...uscustoms.html

Previously, I also had no luck in finding any examples of the weaponry produced in this area. But this post by rickystl and some further research gave me an idea.

I propose that the weapon posted by rickystl is a rare example of local Zeytun weapons production. I'm basing my logic on a few points

1: Its alleged Turkish/Balkan origin
2: The rarity of the weapon, as Zeytun was a small locale
3: User Eftihis claiming that this is type of weapon is known to Turkish collectors as an "Armenian Gun".
4: The barrel bands which are decorated in Caucasian-like flat niello, a type of decoration which was considered typical of Armenian jewelers in the Caucasus and was also very common on Armenian jewelry produced in the city of Van in Turkey.
5: Perhaps most convincingly of all, I was recently able to find one example of a long weapon with a confirmed Zeytun origin on the archive of the national History Museum of Armenia. While it is blurry, the result speaks for itself. It is of a very similar form with very similar decoration on the butt.https://treasury.am/hy/%D5%B0%D6%80%...B8%D6%82%D5%B6

Let me know what you think. (Linked Photos belong to rickystl and the History museum of Armenia.)
Attached Images

AvtoGaz is offline   Reply With Quote