View Single Post
Old 24th August 2021, 07:32 PM   #374
Peter Hudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoadler View Post
The omani Khanjar is a very interesting dagger. To keep this thread alive I show a very old example. It is silver mounted, the hilt is made of Rhino horn and with a ring of solid gold. I think it is a very charismatic piece.
Hello Gonzoadler...Sorry to miss this one ... The question on the two raised ribs on the blade is really a question tied to Omani Khanjar blades and where they came from. I have only seen a few multi ribs as they are usually one only on each side of the blade.. They say that blades were imported from Persia India Yemen and Germany. Not usually wootz style just plain steel. I have what looks like a triple rib on the thread...It is said that some blades were made locally and even some made from meteorites..
The gold ring around the Maqbath( hilt) is interesting ... Is it solid gold? Usually where gold is used to enhance the design it is pulled off a roll which is gilded but not solid. A pin or silver nail is usually tacked to secure the work .
The hilt is normally covered in either a silver plate or in a mass of tiny pins the same shape as a plate...see examples all over the thread.
The hilt raises the major question I think... Is it a Rhino Hilt or Giraffe... ? One ear is clipped and in fact the overall condition is a dagger that has had a tough life... A good polish up with silvo or toothpaste might resurrect it and you might want to look out for a belt ...and even consider a few accoutrements... My suspicion points to this being a UAE dagger or Dhakiliyyah but it is a reasonable example ... Thank you for posting.

Peter Hudson.
Peter Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote