View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2023, 04:02 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a most attractive example of 'hirschfanger' , hunting hanger and I agree likely in first half 18th c. There can be little doubt the blade is a Solingen product as from the beginning of the 18th c. the swordsmiths there established a virtual monopoly for supply of blades to the cutlers of Europe (Blackmore, "Hunting Weapons", 1971, p.41).

The styling of the hilt is of course basically as found through Germany, and followed basically throughout Europe with the guard shell extending down from hilt to provide palate for the high relief themes often employed on these.
The decorative convention of the grip material does resemble 'chinoserie', the European favor for Oriental styling in the 18th c.

The blade decoration follows the often elaborate themes including both mystical and religious elements reflecting the profoundly serious and celebrated art of 'the hunt' which was elaborately followed by the gentry and nobility. While often there were mystical devices and symbolism as well as accompanying interlaced strapwork designs (following talismanic forms of Eastern Europe), sprays of foliage and sometimes martial trophies also were used.

In this case, I am wondering if the dynamic image of the stag falling might be hubris oriented? that is, the rays might suggest, rather than explosion, the 'point of hit'.....?
in other words, suggesting a stag hit by shot while 'on the run', more notable feat of a skilled hunter.

These hangers were actually also very much 'court swords', which is why they are typically included in reference material on these. While elaborately decorated, it seems that often this did not preclude their wear on the hunt for fear of damage from hard use. I had always thought that the task of field dressing was to the accompanying 'employees' of the noble figures, and that the actual 'kill' was seldom using these hangers.