View Single Post
Old 28th March 2023, 11:49 PM   #8
MacCathain

Default Bog wood swagger stick

A friend gave me this example of the breed about 10 years ago. It's a bit more interesting than the typical priest as it is named to its original owner, and is 71.6cm/28.2" in length. As such, it is too short for a walking stick, but too long and heavy for whacking salmon. It is, however, the ideal size for a military officer's swagger stick, albeit a beefy one.

It was originally the property of Jeffrey Hale Burland, who was a noted Montreal businessman, philanthropist and Lt.-Col. of the 6th Battalion of Infantry, Canadian Militia. His name and rank are engraved on the brass cap that adorns the head of the stick. The cap is 38mm/1.5" in length and 25.4mm/1" in diameter, and is soldered to the face of a brass uniform button of the 6th Battalion. I would bet that the wood underneath the cap is cross-hatched in the same way as the priests posted above. The other end of the stick shows where a small brass ferrule was once fitted.

The stick is well-carved with the same shamrocks, vines and leaves as shown in the posts above. The carving includes an Irish harp in relief, over which is mounted a brass Victorian crown that appears to have been repurposed from a military badge. On the side opposite of the harp is a relief carving of a dog in repose. With a square muzzle and erect ears, it looks like it represents a Great Dane, but I'm certain it's intended as a generic depiction.

Burland was commissioned in the 6th Battalion of Infantry in 1882. Ten years later, he commanded the regiment. Given that the rank of Lt.-Col. precedes his name on the stick's brass cap, I would surmise that the stick itself was made between 1892 and 1898, when Burland held that rank and before the 6th was amalgamated with the 1st Battalion Prince of Wales Regiment to form the Prince of Wales' Regiment Fusiliers. I'd guess the stick was acquired in its base form, and later locally "enhanced" with the engraved brass cap and the crown from the badge, to be presented to Burland, perhaps when he became Lt.-Col.

In 1897, Burland was president of the Montreal Military Institute. As a result of his interest in small arms, he served as president of the Amalgamated Rifle Association in 1895 and as commandant of the Canadian rifle team when it won the McKinnon Challenge Cup at Bisley, Surrey, England, in 1902. He retired in 1908 with the rank of honorary lieutenant-colonel of the 1st Regiment (Prince of Wales’s Fusiliers). From 1911 to 1913 he presided over the Dominion Rifle Association and he had held office in local, provincial, and federal rifle associations. He was also prominent in the Boy Scout movement, serving as provincial commissioner from 1910 to 1914. He died in October 1914.
Attached Images

Last edited by MacCathain; 29th March 2023 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Images from host links not allowed
MacCathain is offline   Reply With Quote