View Single Post
Old 7th June 2021, 05:42 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw View Post
[QUOTE
Further, it would seem the most pertinent news that this scabbard is not crocodile, as appears in photos, but 'gutta percha' which is a latex type material produced from sap in Malaysian trees from 1850s+
As this is a faux crocodile hide scabbard, and clearly of Victorian context, why would we presume this item of flatware to be African?
As noted in previous posts, it is the hilt scales (not the scabbard), that are probably made from gutta-percha. The scabbard is made from crocodile skin.[/QUOTE]

I guess I might have approached that better. I was picturing the 'scabbard' as being made of a faux crocodile hide made of gutta percha. If it was just a composition of scales used to 'decorate' a scabbard, then that is quite different. Here I would consider the use of imported items such as cowrie shells, beads, and other material culture items imported from Europe and eslewhere, and these 'scales' used in the same manner to decorate.

Clearly my temporal image of something European (i.e. knife blade) using an 'exotic' material for decoration as in those flatware items made with stag horn etc. was probably far fetched It is funny how that works, natives in colonial settings use domestic items from European context to decorate their own material culture; and the Europeans used colonial cultural items to decorate their own items and curiosities.
I often think of the Sudanese helmets worn along with coats of mail, which were proudly adorned with European spoons and forks from tableware settings in the latter 19th c.

So setting that aside, it goes back to a European domestic item of flatware repurposed into a chopping knife (?) going from photos, and likely arriving there from the prevalent trade contacts.
Again, I would suggest this blade was plausibly flatware produced in northern England by the Shotley Bridge enterprise in its waning days early 19th c. and following the early traditional forms (as illustrated in the Wallace Coll. photos.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote