View Single Post
Old 6th June 2021, 08:26 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I found some examples of serving knives in "The Wallis Collection" (Mann, 1962) but will note that these are profoundly OLD! These are apparently 15th-16th century vintage, but it would seem the traditional form would have extended much further, given the simplicity of the form and the convention of continuing such styles fashionably for centuries.

As I have mentioned, Shotley Bridge had expanded its 'repertoire' into other cutlery and flatware (tableware) after the demand for sword blades had declined. Nearby Sheffield had also become a key producer of edged wares, and though they focused greatly on silver plate, other items were included.
I wonder if listings of Sheffield and other flatware producers in antique references might have either adopted the 'fox' or 'horse'?

Further, it would seem the most pertinent news that this scabbard is not crocodile, as appears in photos, but 'gutta percha' which is a latex type material produced from sap in Malaysian trees from 1850s+
As this is a faux crocodile hide scabbard, and clearly of Victorian context, why would we presume this item of flatware to be African?

Much of flatware produced in these times used exotic or colonial style motifs, horn, hides, staghorn etc. so is it possible this very atavistically styled serving knife might have been made recalling these early forms? and if Shotley or other northern cutler might have produced it?
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote