View Single Post
Old 27th December 2021, 10:21 AM   #23
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default If doubts were ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
... good call on the inscription partly obscured by langet, I totally missed that ...
I just can't imagine that a blade with such inscription setup has originally belonged to the sword where it is presently .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
... I ask, which reference by Mr. Calvo this is from. I need more data on the Spanish sword making firms of this period...
The mentioned reference comes in page 91 of Armamento Espaņol en la Guerra de la Independencia, notwithstanding this may appear in other works of same author. He also refers in page 14 that, when the Independence (Peninsular) war initiated, the occupation of the factories of Placencia, Cataluņa, Oviedo y Toledo either took place or there was no way to avoid it, reason why it was decided to admit the smiths evacuated or those that had ran away in new factories to organize in territory not controled by the invader. Factories were established in Seville, Cadiz, Granada, Jerez de La Frontera, Murcia, Valencia, and Berga, among others. All were occupied and dismantled, with exception of Cadiz and Ceuta. Worth to mention were Seville, Valencia and Cadiz. The one in Seville due to being the most important of those projected, despite having not exceeded the six months of its existence; the one in Valencia due to, being among those dismantled by the enemy, kept active for the largest space of time, since November 1808 until the beginning of 1812; and the one in Cadiz, as the main one among those that were not occupied by the enemy.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote