View Single Post
Old 26th December 2021, 04:49 PM   #20
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I very much agree with Fernando, this saber is entirely an anomaly.
While Toledo had reestablished a factory on outskirts of Toledo in 1761 after nearly a century hiatus, the blades they were producing for swords were not especially good, most emphasis was a bayonets.
As Fernando notes, the Napoleonic campaigns affected not only Spanish factories but even Solingen after 1806.

Though the interesting script does follow the Toledo convention of marking, including the 'Ano' date, it seems strangely unique, especially with the addition of the name Campbell.

The shape of the yelman on the blade is also contrary to the character of the blades discussed earlier in this thread associated with Prosser in England as well as the earlier Solingen types occurring on the M1807(?) patterns for 10th Hussar sabers.

The hilt here appears to be of the type with the 'ears' at center angled as seen on officers examples of the 1796 often had (typically officers versions seem to have been without this feature. I have always associated these type hilts with Osborn, but think that was simply circumstantial as the feature seems known on others.

One note I would make here is that Wilkinson sword Co. did have what was known as a Toledo pattern blade, but this was more of a thrusting pattern with 'dumbbell' cross section and not until well after 1850s (when they began sword production). It seems the term 'Toledo works' was even used (Reeves I think) but cannot recall the circumstances, theres an article around here somewhere

Looking forward to more input on this one!

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 26th December 2021 at 05:09 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote