View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:20 AM   #21
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Front Rank ! Load !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G
Ibrahim,
Many old breechloaders in the UK were "de-activated" in the 1950's ans 60's so that they could be owned without a license and openly displayed (rather than being locked up in a gun cabinet). This meant making them irretrievably unfirable and whilst some "de-activators" were skilled enough to remove the firing pin and it's seating so that the gun would still cock etc. others were a lot cruder and took out most of the "innards" and put a hacksaw through the breech. It is possible that is what happened here.
Since 1968 it is possible to own and trade gun's with "obsolete" calibres and chambering. These are listed, thus a .577\.45 Martini is "obsolete" but a .303 still needs a license.
Regards
Richard

Salaams Richard ~ Indeed and the other mod was to file the face of the breech at 45 degrees .. insane! That and milling the barrel by sawing it at the breech doomed the weapon to scrap ...Looking at the weapon it appears not to have been tampered with as the Omani work, silver and modified old woodwork have not been touched (barrel wise). I see no reason, however, to see an antique weapon with no "bullet up the spout indicator"... Maybe it just fell out...? Some are a bit loose and it happens... I have half a dozen spares maybe someone can ask and I will send them one...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 3rd December 2013 at 11:41 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote