View Single Post
Old 4th September 2007, 01:37 PM   #23
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
The keris in question is neither ceremonial nor functional. It's a souvenir keris, normally produced in a bulk to commemorate certain events. Quite nice & expensive dress no doubt....
This was my suspicion as well, though i don't know enough about the history to say what event it commemorates. Anyone have any ideas given the suspected age.
As such i am more inclined to refer to this blade as a "keris-like" object rather than an actual keris. Please understand that i don't say this to be harsh. There are many viewers of this forum with very little experience with keris. Antonio looks at this piece and remarks, "...such a beautiful piece". I will agree that as a object onto itself it does have beauty. But i fear that some might interpret such comments to mean that this is a "good" keris. A "good" keris it is not.
I am more of the mind that this is not a common souvenir piece, but perhaps some kind of presentation gift.
I am still a bit confused by Shahrial's initial response connecting this to a particular office. I would think that would be served by a "real" keris blade.
David is offline   Reply With Quote