View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2007, 07:30 PM   #18
Nathaniel

David...not that it's any big deal, but just to let you know the blade is at least coated silver....pewter has a different cast..more grayish...

It's not quite a well dressed souvenir, but as stated a dress/ceremonial piece...as Alam Shah questioned if this was from an Selangor official's and it's Selangor coat of arms is probably as far as you are going to get as any cultural significance....

The style tells us something about maybe more modern interpretations...or is it really..several more functional pieces can be seen with more abstract geometric lines... many people have a tendency to be attracted to the work of more realistic versus stylized/ abstract.

Yet, I remember my college art teacher once remarked that art/style should not always be appreciated for how closely it imitates reality, but rather when it presents a new interpretation of reality beyond a simple reflection...yet on the same note I must admit I'm not a fan of the more abstract...

The significance of it's materials...luxury...just like several other court/ official/ artistic pieces you see in many cultures...these are often the best preserved and what you will find in museums...often they where not meant really for function, but to be appreciated for it's beauty/ to show the wealth/ tastes of the owner...several of the Kreis in general are quite fancy/decorative...take a look at several of the pictures of handles you and others use as icons on the forum...maybe these where in fact the Armani of their day?

It is just my simple observation that most of the Kreis I see people showing off and willing to pay high $$$ for are in fact more of the Armani suits of days past...

I offer these comments only as food for thought to all...not as a challenging response to David.

I'm very thankful to everyone for their contribution to this thread. I have learned a good deal.

Last edited by Nathaniel; 3rd September 2007 at 08:14 PM.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote