View Single Post
Old 1st October 2019, 10:46 PM   #20
Philip

Default slings and barrel bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi Rick,
Nice restoration as usual. I'm not sure about the sling rings. I thought the leather sling was attached as per this photograph of my rifle. I did research this method of attachment as my rifle came with the sling in situ and I wasn't sure if it was correct but my findings did reinforce that this was in actual fact the correct method but of course that's not to say that the rings are historically incorrect. Re the barrel bands, mine are brass if I remember correctly, stuff been in storage for the past year and a bit. Electroplating copper sheet with silver for your barrel bands would have been a bit cheaper than sterling silver but that's just my Caledonian thrift. Again a real nice display.
My Regards,
Norman.
Norman, the leather is correct. As an historical aside, the Russians became so enamored of this method of attaching a sling that they adopted it on their Model 1891 Mosin-Nagant rifles and carbines, and it remained in use as long as the rifle was current-issue which is until the end of World War II. Other nations which adopted the same lineup of rifles and made their own versions also kept the same sling system.

I've collected a number of Caucasian guns over the years, and have found that most of them have silver capucines. On some of the top grade guns, these sleeves were ornamented in niello just like the dagger and saber fittings.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote