View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:26 AM   #38
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip
Your lance shows signs of age on it, but its configuration is markedly different from the Polish hussar lances that have been published from museum collections as seen in the attached images of representative examples. [photos from Zdzislaw Zygulski Jr, Bron w Dawnej Polsce (armament in old Poland), Warsaw 1975]. In the same author's article "The Winged Hussars of Poland", The Arms and Armor Annual, Vol I (ed. Robert Held, Chicago, 1973), they are described as follows:

"...Their average length runs to 5 meters (just over 16 feet); they are made of two halves of fir wood hollowed out and glued together, only the wooden ball at the midpoint protecting the hand. They are painted in motifs of golden feathers against a red background. Their iron points are fairly small, about 10 cm, ridge-shaped and furnished with long metal battens for fixing to the shaft."

In neither the photos nor the verbal description do longitudinal grooves or channels appear. The wooden ball is a separate component affixed to hollow shaft, which is cylindrical at that point but tapers towards the forward terminus.

Philip, thank you as always for these observations, which add so much perspective to these topics, especially on the famed 'Polish Winged Hussars', a favorite subject of mine for a very long time.

I recall a few wonderful communications with the late Professor Zygulski back then as I was curious about the actual use of the wings in battle etc. It seems that while of course there is colorful lore about these impressive fixtures on the armor, the potential dynamics in actual combat suggest in most cases they were probably more for parade and ceremonial use.

I am wondering if perhaps this lance might be more of parade item as well, and perhaps had been stored or preserved with later repairs. It seems that the lances used in combat were likely somewhat expendable as they likely broke in contact after initial shock impact and the other arms became primary.

The suggestion of being temporarily cut down for shipping seems feasible.
I will never forget my personal experience with lances;
Years ago when I lived in California, I had won a pair of British cavalry lances from a London auction. When I was notified of their arrival air freight in LAX, I was thrilled and barreled off to get them. In my haste, I had not considered their length......and here I was in a '69 Corvette

Well, luckily there were T tops and I proceeded take them off to accomodate my lancees and to make my drive down the 405 freeway, ' the famed charge of the green corvette!' as described by the Highway Patrol officer who engaged me just miles from my home
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote