View Single Post
Old 13th November 2020, 06:15 AM   #33
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
I agree with Philip. I hate it when you can't even get close enough to study the details of a collection. Reminds me of the living room at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville (Yeah, the 'living room' I could almost fit my house in!!). There's a whole panoply of swords above the hearth about 15 feet up! Plus, you aren't allowed to get that close!
Perhaps the reason that curators of a bygone age put stuff high on the wall was to keep people like us from getting too close. Modern museums have those sensors connected to beepers or buzzers that sound if you lean over the velvet rope barriers next to the exhibits that aren't behind glass! In countries like Italy there are the old ladies who sit on stools in a corner of each gallery and who descend like harpies on the luckless visitor who touches his nose against the glass, or dares to take a picture. I was with a friend at the Armeria Reale in Turin, he takes a photo with his tablet and one of these Gorgonettes stormed over and gave him a royal chewing out in magna voce.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote