View Single Post
Old 12th November 2020, 03:35 AM   #7
BUCC_Guy

Updating thread with new pictures.

While roncones (bisarmas, rosschinders, bills) usually follow the same pattern in Italy, there’s a few notable trends. I’ll reference the numbered examples in the first picture.

1) The blade below the hook usually bulges out. I call this the “belly.” Some are more pronounced (#8) and some are more rounded (#7)
2) The main front spear is either a spike (diamond cross-section, slightly wider than the blade, like #7, #9, and mine) or an extension of the blade, being the same thickness but possibly reinforced further up (#8).
3) The same type of spike construction can apply to the rear spike as well, although all of the examples in the picture are of the wider, flatter blade type, mine is the diamond cross-section type.
4) The hook itself can very in length (extending out from the main blade) and stoutness.

What makes mine unusual is the angle of the hook, as it is almost a right angle and does not curve downward much. I posted the only dated example I could find in the original post, and I’ll keep looking for more.

I bought this roncone because I needed one for my collection and it is a very impressive size. However, I find #8 to be the most attractive form. Thomas Del Mar sold a number of great examples years ago.

Attached are some pictures showing the closer details.

I am debating cleaning it. I generally do not touch my antique metals if there is no active rust, but a gentle rub with oil couldn’t hurt anything aside from my emotions.
Attached Images

BUCC_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote