View Single Post
Old 10th November 2020, 04:57 AM   #17
Philip

Default what to make of those hooks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCC_Guy
This would be supported by the hooks, that could dismount violently if the lance tip did not make purchase. Very much a “congrats on making it past the tip unharmed. Guess what’s next?”

The hooks certainly don’t appear to be for stacking purposes. A haft of similar size will not fit within the hook.
That pair of hooks is indeed puzzling, especially as to their purpose. I would also rule out stacking -- a much smaller split-ring swivel on one side would perform that function a lot more effectively.

The hooks may be too small for engaging other shafts for stacking, and they are also not big enough, nor efficiently shaped, for use as musket-rests (and they are on a pole too long for the purpose). I've seen Italian musket-rests that are slightly extended above the hooks to terminate in a spear head. There is also an Italian cannoneer's implement called a buttafuoco with a spear head with a pair of addorsed appendages below it terminating in holders for match-cord, allowing a gunner to safely stand to the side when firing (avoiding the inevitable recoil) and giving him a bladed implement to defend his gun position if overrun. However, the hooks on this spear/pike are of an inappropriate shape and the shaft is again too long.

However, I would question their utility for dismounting a foe (whether by engaging his harness, clothing, etc). This is because the hooks curl forward. One would think that to yank someone off his high horse, a pulling motion would be a lot more effective and as such, the hooks should curve backward.
Below is an image of some examples of a weapon called a roncone (big billhook) whose crescentic and pointed appendages curve backwards and are admirably suited for unhorsing. This is from Mario Troso's Le Armi in Asta delle Fanterie Europee (1000-1500), pp 268-69.
Attached Images

Philip is offline   Reply With Quote