View Single Post
Old 1st March 2020, 06:07 PM   #6
Edster

Ian,

Interesting subject. Not sure if this addresses your needs, but I found them informative.

Try this one."Leaf Springs: Their Characteristics & Methods of Specification, 1912. Free Google Book.
https://books.google.com/books?id=6T...spring&f=false

Author says that the modulus of elasticity of all steels are virtually the same. Springs made with carbon steel "ride" the same as those of alloy steel of same dimensions. Alloy improved the resistance to repeated deflections. Other alloy additions modified other desirable qualities in manufacturing & use.

While not specifically addressed in text 5160's alloy composition enhances other qualities of the carbon steel, not springiness.

Steel grade standards developed first for structural steels and then to needs of the train and auto industries for consistency to engineering needs and design qualities.

Sword makers in Sudan & elsewhere transitioned from bloomery irons to a good material, i.e. carbon alloy steels from railroads or lorry springs when they became available after c. 1900. I guess it just happened that what steel that made good vehicle springs also made good swords.

Regards,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote