View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2016, 09:15 PM   #8
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
Hi Stu,

Thanks for your interesting comments and information, it is fascinating what unfolds about items posted for comment and info when knowledgeable members kindly give their time to pass on their knowledge.

I wonder how the scabbard got to India and whether the dagger was made for an Indian who liked the scabbard or an Arab who liked the pistol grip style of handle.? Whoever made the knife and handle must have been very skilled and in my opinion did a perfect job. For interest I obtained this piece in the early 70`s in a part exchange deal with money as well for my Bayonet collection at the time it being the first Ethno weapon I purchased.
Regards
Miguel
Hi Miguel,
The contact between India and the Arabian peninsula goes back a very long time in terms of trade etc so the flow of items went both ways. This is probably one of those happenings. Interesting that you have had the knife since the 70s. I had been thinking a very late mating of the two parts.
Re the blade.....can you tell if it is forged or is it a "sandwich" blade (made in two parts and joined together)?
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote