View Single Post
Old 25th November 2020, 01:00 AM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This cuphilt is of European 'style', naturally inferring Spanish or Portuguese, and Germany also used the cuphilt in degree, but these arming type versions are typically colonial and 18th century.

I am unsure that India would be my first thought for pattern welding. India was renowned for its wootz of course, but I am not familiar with Indian blades using pattern welding. Naturally I would be interested in examples showing otherwise.

In India, especially with Portuguese arrival, there was strong interest in European style and of course blades. Indian swords often had European blades mounted, even rapier blades, a type of sword whose use had absolutely no place in Indian swordsmanship.

In the 18th century there was notable use of these cup hilt type arming swords in colonial settings, but not with this type of much earlier European blade form. It is important to note that Toledo by the 18th century had virtually become defunct as a blade making entity, and the reliance was on Solingen. It seems possible that a pattern welded blade may have come from Germany in latter 18th century in a commissioned case as there were instances of testing various blade forms and forging techniques in this time.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote