Thread: Curious cuirass
View Single Post
Old 16th September 2023, 03:34 PM   #15
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix View Post
Many thanks for rotating the picture Fernando! It was shot with a musket lead bullet which flattens on impact (muskets had fairly short range as well in those days). The breast plates were worn over tough buff coats made from moose skin. I understand the breast plates were unpopular due to their weight @7Kg! I took this picture in the Summer when I visited the city of Lund which was the scene of the bloodiest battle on Swedish soil when the Danes tried to re-take the Southern Swedish region of Skåne (Lat. Scania). The shoulder strap is to hang the cavalry carbine on.
The Royal Swedish Life Guard still uses the 17thC breastplates for ceremonial duty like today on the occasion of H.M. the King’s 50th year anniversary on the throne.

Back in the day these soldiers formed the king’s closest body guard in battle. They were all hand-picked officers with outstanding battle merits who served as privates in the unit. Although cavalry, they are dismounted when on ceremonial duty and characteristically stamp their heavy cavalry boots in unison when they march which causes quite a noise.
Attached Images

Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote