View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2023, 01:48 PM   #4
JeffS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuk Murugul View Post
Hullo JeffS!
To me, it's a Manjeuseup Leres (sunbird, straight blade), following a pakem that goes back to at least 15thC.
This may be of interest:
- if the blade length >42cm., it's a sandang walikat (worn over the shoulderblade)
- if the diameter of the tang base >0.72cm., it's a tjorok (doubles as emergency sword)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
A beautiful, well made blade. As Amuk pointed out, it follows an archaic form.
You had luck noticing (or being noticed about it) early, that was a good catch.
Thank you for the information. I am always grateful of the depth of knowlege so freely shared here. It is a lot of fun to post pieces and to see what fascinating history, hidden details, and even controversy that may arise. I suppose when asking the name of dhapur I'm really hoping to learn if it is a recognized and interesting dhapur. An archaic lineage to 15thC or more certainly qualifies. Definitely a shoulder blade, I will measure the pesi base when it arrives. I would be interested to understand if there are specific features that signal the pakem or if it is more how the ensemble of features come together. Absence of sekar kakang and related bits as well as absent sogokan emphasizes the prominent tikel alis and whatever the groove above the gandik outside of the tikel alis is called. As someone who loves sunbirds, I wonder how they came to be included in the dhapur name. Also, is there a clear indication if Balinese or from Lombok? I suppose the question of pamor or lack thereof will have to wait until I have it in hand.
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote